Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

ForgFolds




Today I’m have put together some of my images from the last page that I made in my Oshima pop-up book ‘Gaijin Holiday’. This page was the battle between Josh and Tallis and the frog Samurai of Matsumoto. The above photos are in 2 sets, 1st one show the original sketch where I was leaning more towards Kabuki characters. It also shows the page as a blank. In the blank page photos you can see the underlying paper mechanism is a set of basic map folds. I like map folds, they are relatively simple to construct and they look dynamic when you open them. This page only became more complicated because I had to get all of the arms and swords to fold back into the page. This required some planning as when they folded the sword tips would often catch behind the heads of the characters and bend the wrong way. As a result when you unfolded the page, the swords were all over the place.
The 2nd image is a series of images showing the unfolding of the page. This might give you some insight as to how the folds collapse on each other.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Tony,
    Incredible work! How clever!! And "Kumadori(=face painting)" in Kabuki gives more vivid colors to the work. I like your idea!
    Cheers,wink, wink,
    Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I don't know how you do it, they are marvelous. I have often considered trying pop-ups, but - even though my spatial relations skills are fairly good, I have yet to quite figure it out. I must go buy more, I'm thinking, and see if I can suss it out. :)
    Really terrific work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is SO COOL.

    wow.

    you're so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your books are fantastic! hard work

    ReplyDelete