Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Saurus Street book 5 Hiroshige woodblock print


Yesterday I handed in all my illustrations for Saurus Street book 5. This has been a very interesting book for me to do as I decided to do some experiments in this book. Firstly, I have created about 20 – 30 % of the main drawing in full colour. This would seem nuts as the books are printed in black and whites. But having down loaded a version of the books onto my tablet. I noticed that this illustration on the electronic books are based in the orginal scans and have colour blushes from where I had created the wash shading. This got me thinking about book 5. If I created a number of the images in colour, it would give people the opportunity to see the world of Saurus Street in colour.


Image: Thomas swimming

Secondly, I decided as there wese a lot of water scenes in book 5, so I looked to one of my favorite art forms for inspiration, Japanese woodblock print. This proved to be very handy when drawing wave and water splash patterns. In my research I came across one of my favorite woodblock prints by the artist Ando Hiroshige (Japanese, 1797–1858). I have based the image of the Grandparents house in book 5 on the composition and image elements of Hiroshige’s image of Evening Snow at Kambara (Kambara yoru no yuki), no. 16 from the series Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido (Tokaido gosantsugi no uchi)年月日:  ca. 1832–1833
 Below are my  image if the Grandparents house and Hiroshige’s image.


Now both images together.

No comments:

Post a Comment